Wednesday, March 9, 2016





A PSA From Emmett:
I was rescued at approximately one year of age from the streets of Illinois.  It can safely be assumed I had no medical care as I was not neutered and my people had no idea where I had come from.  I initially tested negative for heartworms when rescued a year ago but now I am positive.  It takes six months after being bitten to test positive--the test only detects adult worms.  My parents have had me on heart worm preventative year round since I was adopted so I was exposed when I was roaming the streets.  Now I am facing a serious, scary treatment and have to be quiet for two months which will be hard for me.  This could have been easily and cheaply prevented if my first home had tested me and placed me on heart worm medicine like the vets recommend.  I'm sure I will be fine, but sore, and want everyone to make sure to test and keep their furkids on preventative year round.  
~Emmett

No comments:

Post a Comment